Jamaica Fiwi Roots

Jamaica's National Heritage Sites

Jamaica has a rich culture and a storied past. The initiative to document a list of Historic sites, buildings and monuments were first commission by Sir Sidney Olivier, governor of Jamaica in the early 1900s. The first list was published in the Jamaica Gazette December 1909 and today, that responsibility now falls to the Jamaica National Heritage Trust (JNHT).

There are many references to Jamaican Georgian Architectural Style... more on the style


Parish of HANOVER
Mobile Phones: Double Click each entry to show Marker | to Zoom

Blenheim

Category: Historic Sites

Blenheim, is the birthplace of National Hero, The Rt. Excellent Sir Alexander Bustamante, the first Jamaican to be awarded the honor of National Hero while alive. It was declared a site of significant importance on Nov 2nd, 1992.

It is believed to be named after Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire, England, the birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill.

Fort Charlotte

Category: Forts, Naval & Military Monuments

Built in the mid-18th Century by the British for the defense of the north-north western corner of the island, Fort Charlotte was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on March 19th, 1992. It was named after the consort of King George III of England, Charlotte.

Old Hanover Gaol & Old Police Barracks

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

Dates back to the 18th century, the Old Hanover Gaol and Old Police Barracks was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on March 19th, 1992.

Tryall Great House and the Ruins of Sugar Works

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest category.

Home of a 200-year-old water wheel from the sugar plantation era, which still functions today. The Tryall Great House and Ruins of the Sugar Works was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on December 16th, 1993.

Barbican Estate

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Barbican Estate dates back as early as 1759 and today houses the remains of a Great House, a windmill, a sugar factory, cannons and battlements. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on on December, 16th 1993.

Tamarind Lodge

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

Declared on 15-Jul-1993 the Tamarind Lodge located in the parish of Hanover is one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance.

Hanover Parish Church

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

Declared on 28-Mar-2013 the Hanover Parish Church located in the parish of Hanover is one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance.

Lucea Town Hall & Clock Tower

Category: Clock Towers

Constructed around 1840, and originally serving as the town`'s court house, the Lucea Town Hall & Clock Tower is a beautiful representation of Jamaican-Georgian architectural style. It was declared as one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance March 19th, 2013.


Parish of CLARENDON

St. Peter's Church (Alley)

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

One of the oldest Anglican churches on the island, St. Peter's Church (Alley) was erected around 1715 on the foundations of the original church that was founded in 1671 as the parish church of Vere. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on March 30, 2000.

St. Paul's Anglican Church

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The St Paul's Anglican Church dates back to 1666, now over 350 years old, began as a chapel in the town of Chapelton. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance 17-March 17, 2016.

May Pen Clock Tower

Category: Clock Towers

The May Pen Clock Tower is a 24ft high monument to the sacrifice of Jamaican soldiers in World War I. It was declared s one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on Mar 15th, 2001. The following is inscribed on the west side:

"The Great War 1914-1918: Message to the Government of Jamaica From the Secretary of State for the Colonies 16th November 1918. Now that the war has been brought to a victorious conclusion, I desire on behalf of His Majesty's Government, to express to the people of Jamaica and her dependencies, the mother country's high appreciation of the military efforts they have made, their cheerful acceptance of compulsory service in the common cause, and their struggle in spite of the difficulties in which visitations of nature have involved them at home. I recall with gratitude the share of men of Jamaica in our final victory in Palestine."

Halse Hall Great House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest category

The Halse Hall Great House was built in 1680 on an estate that existed under Spanish rule, before the British won Jamaica in 1655. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on November 28, 2002.

Milk River Spa

Category: Natural Sites

Since the first baths opened in 1794, the Milk Rive Spa has had thousands of people visit to bathe in the healing waters. It was was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on September 13, 1990.


Parish of KINGSTON

Coke Methodist Church

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The Coke Methodist Church, built on the foundation of a Merchant's home was opened for worship in 1790. It was severely damaged in the 1907 earthquake and the present building rebuilt in the basic neo-Gothic style of the original Church dates from that time. The church was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance in on January 7, 2000.

The Admiralty Houses

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Admiralty Houses, which are part of the Old Naval Dockyard in Port Royal, were built toward the turn of the century, in the late 1800s to 1900s, to house senior naval personnel. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on November 5, 1992.


Fort Charles, Port Royal

Category: Forts, Naval & Military Monuments

Originally called Fort Cromwell but was renamed Fort Charles, was built between 1650-60. By 1667 it had 36 guns and by 1765, 104 guns and a garrison with 500 men. Declared on 31-Dec-1992 the It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on December 31st, 1992.

Rockfort Mineral Bath and Spa

Category: Natural Sites

The origin of the mineral spring supplying the Rock Fort Spa is uncertain. It is believed to have following the 1907 earthquake. The water which is very radioactive, is piped from a cold spring in the surrounding hills several bathhouses, supplied with warm water, and a large swimming pool. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on February 6, 1992.

Category: Statues & Other memorials

Negro Aroused

The original sculpture of Negro Aroused was created by Edna Manley in 1935. She was commissioned to enlarge it in 1977, and create a monument to the workers of Jamaica and the Workers Movement which was born in 1938, but it was destroyed in a fire. She produced a third version, closer in size to the original in 1982, which was later enlarged in 1991, after she died. Negro Aroused was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 13, 1995.

40 Harbour Street

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The building at 40 Harbour Street home of the Jamaica Stock Exchange, was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on December 10, 1998.

Wesley Methodist Church

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The Wesley Methodist Church, was built 1825, can be described as a Jamaican Georgian building with some elements of Palladio. It was constructed during the period of the Consolidated Slave Laws, enacted to hinder the spread of non-conformist theology in Jamaica. It was declared as one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on December 10, 1998.

East Queen Street Baptist Church

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The East Queen Street Baptist Church had the largest Baptist membership in the world, 2,937 members, at the time of dedication on January 22, 1822. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on October 29, 2009.

Holy Trinity Cathedral

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

Today's Holy Trinity Church was built on North Street in 1911 to replace the Holy Trinity Church, which was located elsewhere on the corner of Duke and Sutton Streets, that was destroyed in the 1907 earthquake. Its main feature is the beautiful 85ft high, copper-covered dome. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on January 7, 2000.

St. Andrew's Scots Kirk United Church

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The St. Andrew's Scots Kirk rebuilt after the earthquake of 1907 on the foundation of the original Church. It is principal Presbyterian Church on the island. Presbyterian missionaries began their work in Jamaica in 1824, in the parish of Trelawny. Tthe Presbyterian Church merged with the Congregationalists to form the United Church of Jamaica and Grand Cayman in 1965. The church was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 7, 2016 .

Hibbert House / Headquarters House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

Headquarters House, previously knows as Hibbert House after Thomas Hibbert who built it in 1755, is the head office of the Jamaica National Heritage Trust. It is located at 79 Duke Street, Kingston and was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on January 7, 2000.

Liberty Hall

Category: Historic Sites

Liberty Hall located at 76 King Street, Kingston was the centre of activities for the Kingston division of The Universal Negro Improvement Association (U.N.I.A), founded by National Hero Marcus Garvey in 1914. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on November 5, 1992.

Ward Theatre

Category: Public Buildings

The Ward Theatre was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on January 7, 2000 . It was built in 1912 by Charles James Ward, the "Nephew" in the company J Wray and Nephew, who Custos of Kingston. It is the third Theatre to stand on the same site since 1775. The first was the Kingston Theatre that was destroyed by fire and the second was the Theatre Royal, which was destroyed in the 1907 earthquake.

Statue of Queen Victoria with Bust of Prince Consort

Category: Statues & Other memorials

The Statue of Queen Victoria with Bust of Prince Consort located downtown Kingston was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance Jan 7, 2000.

Statue of the Rt. Excellent Sir Alexander Bustamante

Category: Statues & Other memorials

The Statue of the Rt. Excellent Sir Alexander Bustamante located downtown Kingston was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance Jan 7, 2000.

Statue of Sir Charles Metcalfe

Category: Statues & Other memorials

The statue of Sir Charles Metcalfe, Governor of Jamaica from 1839 to 1842, located downtown Kingston, was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance Jan 7, 2000.

Statue of Edward Jordan

Category: Statues & Other memorials

The statue of Edward Jordan, was a campaigner for equal rights for free coloed people and the first man of color to be elected mayor of Kingston. The monument is located downtown Kingston was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance Jan 7, 2000.

Statue of the Rt. Excellent Norman Manley

Category: Statues & Other memorials

The Statue of the Rt. Excellent Norman Manley located downtown Kingston was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance July 4, 2002.

Kingston Parish Church

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The Kingston Parish Church was erected around 1911 on the foundations of the original church that was destroyed in the 1907 earthquake. The clock tower was added in dedication to the Jamaicans who died in World War I. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on March 4, 2003 .

The church is dorned with many gifts and monuments including a statue of St. Mary from the Chinese community, the statue of St. Thomas from the Syrian community and monuments of Admiral John Benbow, the English naval officer based at Port Royal in 1702 and John Wolmer, wealthy Kingston goldsmith who left money in his will to found the Wolmers school..

Kingston Railway Station

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Kingston Railway Station was built in 1845, symbolizing its importance as the main terminus of the Jamaica railways. Jamaica was the second British Colony after Canada to receive a railway system. The first route in 1845 went from Kingston to Angels, just north of Spanish Town, a distance of ~14.5 miles. It was declared as one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on 4-Mar-2003.

Old Jewish Cemetery

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs category

The Old Jewish Cemetery is one of the oldest Jewish cemeteries in the Western Hemisphere. was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on July 15, 1993. It was founded by the Jews of Port Royal in the late 17th century. The Jews there, excelled in the trade of gold and silver, and in money changing.

Bust of General Antonio Maceo

Category: Statues & Other memorials

The bust of General Antonio Maceo was donated by Cuba, in recognition of Jamaica having offered him asylum while he worked towards the freedom of Independence of Cuba. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on Jan 7, 2000.

Monument to the Rt. Excellent Sam Sharpe

Category: Statues & Other memorials

The monument to the Rt. Excellent Sam Sharpe was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on March 29, 2001.

Monument to Rt. Excellencies George William Gordon and Paul Bogle

Category: Statues & Other memorials

The monument to the Rt. Excellencies George William Gordon and Paul Bogle, located in National Heroes Park was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance Jan 7, 2000.

Monument to the Most Honourable Sir Donald Sangster

Category: Statues & Other memorials

The monument to the Most Honourable Sir Donald Sangster located in National Heroes Park was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance Jan 7, 2000.

Cenotaph

Category: Statues & Other memorials

The Cenotaph is a War Memorial in the National Heroes Park; a memorial to the thousands of Jamaicans who died in World Wars I and II. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance Jan 7, 2000.

Monument to the Rt. Excellent Sir Alexander Bustamante

Category: Statues & Other memorials

Designed by Errol Alberga, completed in Oct 1979, the Monument to the Rt. Excellent Sir Alexander Bustamante located in National Heroes Park was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance Jan 7, 2000.

Monument to Rt. Excellent Norman Manley

Category: Statues & Other memorials

Designed by H. D. Repole and dedicated on September 16, 1972. The Monument to Rt. Excellent Norman Manley located in National Heroes Park was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance Jan 7, 2000.

Monument to Rt. Excellent Marcus Garvey

Category: Statues & Other memorials

The body of Marcus Garvey was brought back from England, where he had died in June 1940, and re-interred at the site of this Monument. The Monument to Rt. Excellent Marcus Garvey is located in National Heroes Park was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance Jan 7, 2000.

Monument to Rt. Excellent Nanny of the Maroons

Category: Statues & Other memorials

The Monument to Rt. Excellent Nanny of the Maroons of the Windward Maroons is located in National Heroes Park was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance Mar 29, 2001.


MANCHESTER

Greenvale Railway Station

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Greenvale Railway Station built in 1892, is a two-storey timber structure built in the Jamaican Georgian style. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on January 6, 2005.

Marshall's Pen Great House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

Marshall's Pen Estate dates back to the first Provost General of Jamaica, over 200 years ago. Originally a cattle property, it was bought in 1755 by the Earl of Balcarres, the Governor of Jamaica back then. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on May 30, 2000.

Mandeville Court House

Category: Public Buildings

The Mandeville Court House was built in 1817 in the Jamaica Georgian style. It is the oldest building in the Mandeville Square, having been erected only two years after the town had been incorporated in 1815. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on March 15, 2001.

Mandeville Parish Church

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The St. Mark's Anglican Church, the Parish Church of Manchester, was completed and consecrated in 1820. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on July 19, 2007.

Roxborough Castle Plantation

Category: Historic Sites

Roxborough, the birthplace of National Hero, the Right Excellent Norman Washington Manley, was originally a part of an estate recorded as "Roxbro Castle". It was destroyed by fire in 1968. The Jamaica National Heritage Trust proposes to restore the building. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on Oct 1st, 1992.

Williamsfield Railway Station

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Williamsfield Railway Station was constructed around 1891 in the Jamaican Georgian Style. It was declared as one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 3, 2003.


PORTLAND

Buff Bay Court House

Category: Public Buildings

Built in the early 1900s, the Buff Bay Court House is located near the heart of the town of Buff Bay. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on Apr 8, 2004.

Orange Bay Railway Station

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Orange Bay Railway Station was constructed in 1896 in the Jamaican Georgian style. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on October 2, 2003.

Port Antonio Court House

Category: Public Buildings

The Port Antonio Court House is a stone and brick building that was built in 1895 on the direction of the Colonial Secretary. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on May 2, 1996.

Port Antonio Railway Station

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Port Antonio Railway Station, built in 1896, was a stop on Bog Walk line. This line serviced farmers needing to transport produce to the Port Antonio harbor. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on May 2, 1996.

Fort George

Category: Forts, Naval & Military Monuments

Fort George was built with walls 10ft thick in 1729 to defend Port Antonio from Spanish invasion and to deal with the menace of the maroons in the area. The fort was also used during World War I. It is situated on the Titchfield peninsula, in the grounds of the Titchfield High School. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on May 2, 1996.

The Old Military Barracks

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The barracks of Fort George now houses classrooms for the Titchfield High School. The barracks was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on May 2, 1996.

DeMontevin Lodge

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The DeMontevin Lodge was in 1881 by the Hon. David Gideon, who became Custos of Portland in 1923. The building's decorative ironwork was designed and cast in Scotland. It has had some very high profile guests such as the Queen's mother in 1923 and Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on May 2, 1996.

The Cenotaph

Category: Statues & Other memorials

The towering Cenotaph, sits as the centrepiece of Port Antonio Square, a war memorial honouring the people of Portland who gave their lives during the two world wars. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on Apr 3, 2003.

Portland Parish Church (Christ Church)

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs category

Portland Parish Church, also known as Christ Church, was originally called the St. George Anglican Church because it was once the Parish Church of a parish called St. George. In 1867, the number of parishes was reduced from 22 to 14, and the parish of St. George was absorbed into the parish of Portland. The church was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on May 2, 1996.

Folly Mansion ruin

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Folly Mansion was once a magnificent and beautiful house built as a replica of a Roman villa with 60 rooms, marble floors, glass window and wooden doors. The house featured the modern conveniences of the day such as a steam-powered generator, electric lights and running water. It is now owned by the Jamaican government and was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on Apr 7, 2016

Bump Grave

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

Bump Grave is located in the Maroon village of Moore Town. It is a stone monument marking the grave of of Nanny, National Hero, the founder of the town and legendary chieftainess of the Windward Maroons. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on May 10, 2007

Nanny Town

Category: Historic Sites

Named after Nanny, the Maroon leader who led the Maroons to many victories during the first Maroon war was built around 1723. It was not discovered by the English until 1728 when Sambo, an African, led them to it. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on December 22, 2011.


ST ANDREW

Mico College Buildings

Category: Public Buildings

The Mico College Buildings form a part of the Mico College which was established from funds bequeathed by Lady Mico in 1690 to her nephew Samuel, on the condition that he marry one of his cousins. He did not marry, but the funds were used to build the college. The buildings were built at different times and consist of Buxton House, Kelvin Lodge and Cottage, Porters Lodge and The Chapel. The college buildings were declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on March 19, 1992.

Cross Roads Clock Tower

Category: Clock Towers

The was built to honour the memory of servicemen from Kingston and St. Andrew who fought and died in World War II. The structure was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on January 6, 2005.

University of the West Indies Chapel

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The University of the West Indies Chapel has an interesting history. Its existence began in 1799 as a stately Georgian building on Gale's Valley sugar estate in Trelawny. In 1955, with the sugar industry a shadow of what it was in the 1800s, the Chancellor of the University College of the West Indies, Her Royal Highness Princess Alice, proposed to the then owner of the sugar estate, Mrs. Kelly-Lawson, that the building being a fine example of West Indian architecture could serve a far greater usefulness if it was moved and reconstructed as the University Chapel. The old building was dismantled and numbered, stone by stone, and transported across the island and reassembled on the Mona campus. The new Chapel was dedicated on February 14, 1960. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on March 29, 2001.

Papine-Mona Aqueduct

Category: Aqueducts, Bridges & Dams

The Papine-Mona Aqueduct, built by Thomas Hope Elleston in 1758, once served water from the Hope River to the Mona, Hope, and Papine Estates. The Aqueduct terminated at the Mona Wheel house on the Campus of the University of the West Indies. The Papine-Mona Aqueduct was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on May 31st, 2001.

Hope Aqueduct

Category: Aqueducts, Bridges & Dams

The Hope Estate was named after its first owner Major Richard Hope, an officer who was part of the naval conquest Jamaica from Spain. The property eventually changed ownership to Roger Elletson who was instrumental in building the aqueduct. It was used to channel water the Hope River to run the mills of his sugar work around 1758. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on January 6, 2005.

Lillian's Restaurant

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The building that houses the Lillian's Restaurant on the campus of the University of the Technology (UTech) stands on part of the site that was once the Hope Sugar Estate. Part of this estate was leased for use as a farm and school with the goal of training the young men enrolled at the time in the art and science of agriculture. The Farm School was the forerunner to the Jamaica School of Agriculture in 1942 and later the College of Agriculture, Science and Education. The building now known as Lillian's Restaurant was part of the Farm School which produced some outstanding Jamaicans such as Dr Thomas Phillip Lecky, whose research resulted in the first breed of indigenous Jamaican cattle, the Jamaican Hope, which he used as the basis for his Ph.D. thesis. Further research resulted in the Jamaican Red, Jamaican Brahman and Jamaican Black cattle breeds. Lillian's Restaurant was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on July 8, 2010.

Ruins of Three Concrete Silos

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Ruins of the Three Concrete Silos are some of the last remaining relics to mark the existence of the Hope Farm. The ruins were declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on July 8, 2010.

Hope Botanic Gardens

Category: Natural Sites

In 1881, the Government purchased 200 acres of Hope the Estate to establish an experimental garden; 50 acres to be devoted to finding new varieties of sugar cane and 10 acres for planting teak, Liberian Coffee, Trinidad Cocoa and pineapples. With its wide collection of flowering and non-flowering, exotic and endemic plants the Hope Botanical Gardens was established. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 4, 1991.

Mona Great House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

Mona Great House was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on February 10, 1994.

24 Tucker Avenue

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The house located at 24 Tucker Avenue, was the former residence of National Hero, the Rt. Excellent Alexander Bustamante. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 4, 1991.

Old Half Way Tree Court House

Category: Public Buildings

The Old Half Way Tree Court House was built in 1807 and was repaired in 1882 after it was damage by a storm. It was used during the Second World War by Imperial Censors. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 7, 2016.

Oakton House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Oakton House was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 4, 1991.

St. Andrew Parish Church

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The St. Andrew Parish Church was founded in 1664 and is one of the oldest churches on the Island. The Church has some of the oldest monuments and memorials of any Church in Jamaica. The cemetery is one of the oldest in continuous use. Many prominent people are interred there. The church was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 3, 2003.

Half Way Tree Clock Tower

Category: Clock Towers

The Half Way Tree Clock Tower was built in 1913 as a memorial to King Edward VII of England. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on January 7, 2000.

Devon House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Devon House Mansion is one of Jamaica's most celebrated historical landmarks. It was built in 1881 by George Stiebel, Jamaica's first black millionaire. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on September 13, 1990.

Regardless

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The property called "Regardless" became the home of the Rt. Excellent Norman Manley, National Hero of Jamaica, and former Premier and Founder of the People's National Party, in 1962. The family home was originally Drumblair, but it was sold to pay Norman Manley debts. They moved into Regardless, described as the "little house on a toe-hold of Drumblair land". Regardless was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on March 29, 2001.

Excerpt from Edna Manley's journal (wife of Norman Manley) dated Nov 18, 1961: "Drumblair is sold, that's the end of a very long book. I am building a little house on a toe-hold of land."
On September 3, 1962, she wrote: "We have been in "Regardless" now for four months. Drumblair had been taken down and sold for old lumber. We have lost the elections; suddenly this little house, which I have always loved since we moved in two days after the election, has an atmosphere of peace."

Cherry Garden Great House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Cherry Gardens Great House, has links to two prominent figures in Jamaica's and North America's, history; it was home to George William Gordon, National Hero of Jamaica, and years before that was associated with Jonathan Dickinson, an influencial business man who eventually became a politician and mayor of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Jonathan Dickinson was the brother of Mary Gomersall, wife of the first owner of the house, Ezekiel Gomersall. Cherry Garden Great House was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on September 19, 2002.

Church of the Good Shepherd (Anglican)

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

In 1927, the Good Shephed Anglican Church was completed and consecrated to the Good Shepherd. The church was specially dedicated to the work of the Church of England in Jamaica amongst the East Indians and also for the use and benefit of the Wortley Home -- a Children's Home that started in 1918. Church of the Good Shepherd was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on March 17, 2005.

Long Lane Aqueduct

Category: Aqueducts, Bridges & Dams

The aqueduct was built when an act was passed in 1770 that allowed the owner of the Constant Spring Estate, Daniel Moore, to bring water to his estate from the Wag Water River, by means of a tunnel and an aqueduct. Today the aqueduct is abandoned but the tunnel has been renovated and is used in supplying water to the city.The Long Lane Aqueduct was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on January 6, 2005.

Admiral Mountain Great House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

Admiral Mountain was the property and residence of Admiral Peter, Admiral of the British fleet in the West Indies, and his wife, Lady Parker in 1780. The property later became the residence of all British Admirals stationed in Jamaica (including Horatio Nelson) during the latter part of the 18th and early 19th Centuries. Admiral Mountain Great House was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on March 29, 2001.


ST ANN

Cave Valley Chimney

Category: Miscellaneous

The Cave Valley Chimney was once part of the sugar works of the Cave Valley Sugar Estate that dates back to 1817. The chimney appears to have been consructed around 1872, based on a plaque mounted on the chimney. Today it serves as an important landmark in the community. The Cave Valley Chimney was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on 19-June 19, 2000.

Edinburgh Castle Ruins

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

This ruin has a dark history. Edinburgh Castle was built by Lewis Hutchinson, a Scottish Doctor who came to Jamaica in the 1760's. He was known as "the mad doctor" and Jamaica's first serial killer. He was acused and convicted of killing lone visitors and it is said, that as time went by he became more daring, shooting his neighbor and a soldier in full view of a white colonist. It is estimated that he killed more than 40 people. He was tried and hanged at the Spanish Town Gallows in 1773. The Edinburgh Castle Ruins was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 4, 1991.

Moneague Inn

Category: Hotels and Taverns

The Moneague Inn was located on the main thoroughfare between the North coast and Spanish Town, the seat of power and the Capital of the Island. Its history goes back to 1844. The Inn provided a respite to weary travellers taking the three day journey. It was described in 1860 as the best hotel in the island. The Moneague Inn was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on May 13, 1999.

Moneague Hotel

Category: Hotels and Taverns

The Moneague Hotel surpassed Moneague Inn in 1890. It was the largest hotel at that time as it was one of several new Hotels that was built to host the large number of visitors expected to attend the Great Exhibition of 1891, an event to promote Jamaican products to the world and to attract investment in the island. The attendance was finally estimated at 302,831 people. The Moneague Hotel was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on March 23, 2000.

Mount Plenty Great House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Mount Plenty Great House was the home of Honourable John Hiatt, Custos of St. Ann, who was born in 1722. He died at age of 98 and was buried on the property. Mount Plenty Great House was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on March 23, 2000.

Drax Hall Waterwheel

Category: Aqueducts, Bridges & Dams

The Drax Hall Waterwheel was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on March 30, 2006. The Drax Hall Estate was founded in 1669 by William Drax who camed to the Island from Barbados. The waterwheel was rotated by a constant stream of water on to it's outer paddles. The rotating wheels turned rolers that was used to crush the sugar cane, extracting the juices. The ju

32 Market Street, St. Ann's Bay

Category: Historic Sites

32 Market Street, St Ann's Bay is the birthplace of Marcus Mosiah Garvey, Jamaica's first National Hero. He was born there on August 17, 1887, the youngest of eleven children. The house is constructed from timber and placed upon blocks. In 1989 a bust of Marcus Garvey was erected at the front of the house. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on January 31, 2001.

Peter Martyr Site (ruins of old Church)

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

In 1534 when Jamaica was under Spanish rule, work on a church known as the Peter Martyr Church was started by Abbot Peter Martyr of Angleria, Italy, in Sevilla la Nueva. It was never completed because the center of Government moved from Sevilla la Nueva to Spanish town before it was completed and the structure fell into disrepair. Today, the site belongs to the Catholic Church and new church called Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church was built on the same property. The old ruins of Petyr Martyr church was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on Mar 22, 2001.

Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

In 1925, William Hoskins, owner of the Seville Estate, gave five acres of land containing the ruins of the Peter Martyr Church to the Catholic Church. Between 1939 and 1943, the Catholic Church constructed a beautiful spanish style church from cut-stone, local timber and stones from the old ruins, next to the site of St Peter Martyr Church. The new Church was called Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church and was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on Mar 22, 2001.

Seville Great House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

Located on the historic Seville Estate, is the Seville Great House and Heritage Park. The Park has collection of the artefacts on display depicting the timeline of the Seville and the culture of the Tainos, African and Spanish people. There are also models of type of houses used by the Tainos and Africans, a whaterwheel and the ruins of the overseer's house. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on May 13, 1999.

Liberty Hill Great House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Liberty Hill estate dates back to 1786 as a pimento plantation. In 1912, evidence was unearthed during an archeological dig that showed that the TaĆ­no people lived on the site. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on July 2, 2009.

Minard Great House Ruin

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

Minard, one of the earliest estates in the Browns Town area, was a pen used for the rearing animals. It also produced coffee and pimento. Minard Great House Ruin was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on July 31, 2014.

New Hope Great House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

New Hope Great House was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on July 31, 2014.


ST CATHERINE

Phillippo Baptist Church

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The Phillippo Baptist Church church, was bult in in 1827, and is named after the Baptist Missionary James Phillippo who was instrumental in forming Sligoville, the first free village on the island for emancipated slaves. He along with his wife and daughter are buried in the churchyard. The Phillippo Baptist Church was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on November 5, 1992.

Spanish Town Historic District

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

For about 30 years, early Spanish colonists placed the capital city of Jamaica at Sevilla La Nueva in St. Ann's Bay until they realized that this location was unhealthy and not conducive to settlement. In 1534, they moved the capital city to a town surrounded by good farming land that they named Villa de la Vega (meaning Town of the Plain), now known as Spanish Town. The name was later changed St. Jago de la Vega and eventually to Spanish Town. Spanish Town was the capital city for over 100 years under Spanish rule. It had a major Taino settlement a mile or so away, making it the oldest continuously occupied city in the Western Hemisphere. Spanish Town remained the capital of the island for another 200 years under British rule until 1872, when capital status was conferred on Kingston. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on December 29, 1994.

Cathedral of St. Jago de la Vega (Anglican)

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

Built in 1714, this is the oldest Anglican cathedral in the Caribbean, boasting an impressive beamed ceiling, and a magnificent stained-glass window behind the altar. The church is built on the site of one of the first Spanish cathedrals in the New World, built in 1525.It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on December 31, 1992.

Spanish Town Railway Station

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Spanish Town Railway Station was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 3, 2003.

Colbeck Castle Ruins

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

Sitting in the open countryside to the north of Old Harbour, is Colbeck Castle. The building was built around 1680 and is currently owned by the Jamaica National Heritage Trust. The ruins was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance September 13, 1990.

Old Harbour Clock Tower

Category: Clock Towers

The Old Harbour Clock Tower was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on December 12, 2008.

Old Harbour Railway Station

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Old Harbour Railway Station was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on October 2, 2003.

St. Dorothy's Anglican

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The St. Dorothy's Anglican Church gets its name from the parish of St. Dorothy, in which it was located when it was first built. The parish remained until 1867 when St. Dorothy, St. John and St. Thomas in the Vale merged into St Catherine. The church was built on land donated in 1681, by Colonel Thomas Fuller and his wife, Catherine Fuller. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on March 30, 2000.

Bushy Park Aqueduct

Category: Aqueducts, Bridges & Dams

The Bushy Park Aqueduct was built between 1760 and 1780 to direct water from the Spring Garden River to the Bushy Park Sugar Estate. The redirected water was used to turn the waterwheel for grinding sugar cane. The bricks in the aqueduct were held in place with moratar made from crushed limestone, molasses, animal dung and dry grass. Portions of the aqueduct were removed for the construction of the railway line, the parochial road and the Old Harbour Bypass which now a part of Highway 2000. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on January 31, 2002.

Two Sisters Caves

Category: Caves & Middens

The Two Sisters Cave, located in the limestone rocks of the Hellshire Hills, each contain sink holes of fresh water. It is believed these reservoirs may have been a source of fresh water for the Tainos. These two caves are part of a network of interconnected caverns and tunnels extending for miles across the hills. A petroglyph carving of a face that is about seven hundred years old has been found in the caves. The caves were declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on Apr 3, 2003.

White Marl Taino Midden and Museum

Category: Public Buildings

The White Marl Taino Midden and Museum was established in 1965 in memory of Dr. Randolph Howard, an American archaeologist. It is located in what is considered a most valuable Taino site in Jamaica and one of the most important in the Caribbean. Excavations of burial groundsin White Marl have located remains of a number of adults and a child. Skeletons that are still in good condition. The burial sites are thought to range in age from 700-1,000 years, pre-dating Columbus by several hundred years. Objects of pottery, wood carvings, jewellery, amulets, cooking utensils and animal bones likely from animals they ate were discovered and are now on display. The White Marl Taino Midden and Museum was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on December 31, 1992.

Mountain River Cave

Category: Caves & Middens

The Mountain River Cave, located in a thickly wooded area close to a river in the Cudjoe Hill area, is about 100ft x 30ft with a ceiling ranging 10-15 feet. It is unknown if the Tainos actually lived there, but there is evidence of their visits. There are many pictographs (paintings) in the cave, about 148 of which are identifiable and about 4 or 5 petroglyphs (rock carvings). The age of these are estimated to be between 500 to 1,300 years old. The cave is located in the area of Cudjoe Hill, via St. Johns Road which leads to Browns Hall. The JNHT has placed a sign in Cudjoe Hill indicating its existence nearby. It is advisable call them to arrange a tour. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 3, 2003.

Hayfield House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Hayfield House is believed to be located on the property of the Hayfield estate that was owned by James Hay, a Chief Justice of Jamaica and a Member of Assembly for St. Thomas in the Vale in 1731. Hayfield House was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on July 8, 2010 .

There is a slab in St. Catherine's Cathedral that states:
Here lies the body of James Hay Esq. one of the Judges of the Grand Court Aged 39 years who departed this life the 7th day of October 1735.


Parish of ST ELIZABETH

Magdala House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

Built in the late nineteenth century, Magdala House was constructed by Adolphus Williams for Tom Leyden, who with partner William Farguharson of Leyden and Farquharson Shipping Company, were two of the richest men in Jamaica in the mid 1880s. Magdala House was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on September 13, 1990.

Invercauld House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

Built in 1894 by Thomas Patrick Leyden, the son of John Leyden, a shipping magnate, Invercauld is a beautiful Georgian building with gabled roofs, bay windows and decorative fretwork. It is a reminder of Black River's prosperity a century ago, when logwood and shipping brought wealth to the town. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on September 13, 1990.

The Munro College Buildings

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

In October 1834, an act was passed allowing the proceeds of the sale of the estate and slaves of Robert Munro and Caleb Dickenson to be used as outlined in their wills; to build a free school or schools in St Elizabeth for poor girls and boys. In 1856 as the Potsdam School (named after the town it was located), was founded from the proceeds of the two benefactors. It was later renamed to Munro College during World War I. The college buildings were declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance Juyl 1, 2004.

Lovers' Leap Lighthouse

Category: Lighthouses

This Lighthouse is the most recentwritten in 2019 lighthouse built in Jamaica. The Lighthouse stands at approximately 1600 feet above sea level and is powered by electricity with two souces of backup power; batteries and a generator. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance May 9, 2002.

Lacovia Tombstones

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The Lacovia Tombstones were erected in memory of two people who got into a fight and died, over a disagreement at a party in a local tavern... or sold it was told. Today, only one of the graves still have an inscription; a dedication to Thomas Jordan Spencer who died on September 17, 1738. Spencer's tombstone bears a crest which indicates that he was a descendant of the late Duke of Marlborough and the late Sir Winston Spencer Churchill. The two tombstones were declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance December 25, 2008.

Balaclava Railway Station

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Balaclava Railway Station is a two storey building constructed 1892, of timber throughout. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance October 2, 2003.


Parish of ST JAMES

Greenwood Great House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

Greenwood Great House was built in the 1780s by the enormously wealthy Richard Barrett; a cousin of the famous poet, Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Greenwood is one is the best preserved examples of the plantation era Jamaican Great House. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance March 15, 2001.

Cinnamon Hill Great House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Cinnamon Hill Great House built by Edward Barrett, in 1784. He became one of Jamaica's wealthiest and most influential planters. The Barrett family played a significant role in the birth of Falmouth. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance May 13, 1999.

Rose Hall Great House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Rose Hall Great House was built in the mid 19th Century by George Ash for John Palmer, Custos of St. Thomas on the lands of the former Rose Hall Sugar Estate. Today it is a popular visitor attraction because of the stories about the mistress of the house, Annie Palmer, and the cruelty she meted out to her slaves and husbands.It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance May 13, 1999.

Ironshore Windmill Tower

Category: Miscellaneous

The Ironshore Windmill Tower was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance April 3, 2003.

Montego Bay Old Fort

Category: Forts, Naval & Military Monuments

Montego Bay Old Fort was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance December 1, 2005.

Old Albert Market

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Old Albert Market was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance May 30, 1996.

Old Court House (Montego Bay Civic Centre)

Category: Public Buildings

The Old Court House, now the Montego Bay Civic Centre, was built in or around 1774. This building probably best known for the trial of National Hero Samuel Sharpe which was held in 1832. Sharpe led the Slave Rebellion of Christmas 1831 that is credited as hastening the emancipation act that freed the slaves. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance May 30, 1996.

No. 2 Orange Street and No. 6 Corner Lane

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

No. 2 Orange Street and No. 6 Corner Lane were declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance February 17, 1994.

No. 1 King Street

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The property at No. 1 King Street and the corner of Market Street in Montego Bay was formerly the Manse of the Burchell Baptist Church. Thomas Burchell, the reknown Baptist Missionary and pioneer, lived in the Manse while he worked in the parish of St. James. The property was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance July 15, 1993.

The Old Slave Ring

Category: Miscellaneous

The Old Slave Ring located at the corner of Union and East Streets, is a semi-circular arena-like structure with brick walls be a site where prospective buyers viewed the slaves for auction. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance April 8, 2004.

Burchell Baptist Church

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The Burchell Baptist Church was established in 1824 with 12 members under the pastorship of the missionary Reverend Thomas Burchell. Because of their stand against slavery, the Baptists soon became the most popular religious group in Jamaica, gaining large numbers of converts from the enslaved and free black population. The church was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance July 2, 2009.

Town House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

A beautiful example of Jamaica Georgian achitecture. The building quite possibly predates the Parish Church based on the inscription on the keystone over the entrance to the basement, which suggests that the Town House was built in 1776. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance March 15, 2001.

The Dome

Category: Miscellaneous

The Dome, was erected in 1837 over the creek that was used to supply water to Montego Bay. It has since been replaced with yellow brick tower. The Dome was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance March 30, 2000.

Catadupa Railway Station

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Catadupa Railway Station was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance April 3, 2003.

Barnett Street Police Station

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Barnett Street Police Station dates back to the late nineteenth century. It is constructed of cut stone in the Jamaican Georgian style. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance March 23, 2000.

The Salter's Hill Baptist Church Ruins

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The Salter's Hill Baptist Church was voluntarily constructed by enslaved Africans in 1825. It contributed significantly to the welfare of the enslaved communities during the pre and post emancipation. The church was destroyed by fire in the early nineteenth century. Today, the basic structure of the building remains standing. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance May 13, 1999.

Anchovy Railway Station

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Anchovy Railway Station was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance October 2, 2003.

St. Mary's Anglican Church

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The cornerstone of St. Mary's Anglican Church is dated 1847. It is situated on the Montpelier Estate, which was one of the estates burnt by slaves during the great Christmas slave rebellion in the western Parishes of Jamaica between 1831-1832. The church sits on the site of the slave uprising that resulted in the death of Sam Sharpe and the eventual abolition of slavery. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance March 23, 2000.

Montpelier Railway Station

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Montpelier Railway Station was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance April 3, 2003.

Cambridge Railway Station

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Cambridge Railway Station was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance October 2, 2003.


Parish of ST MARY

Harmony Hall Great House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

Built in the late 1850s, Harmony Hall was the Estate house of a small pimento and lime plantation. It was home to Sir Hugh Sherlock, writer of the words to the Jamaican National Antem, when he served on the Methodist Ocho Rios circuit from 1937-1940. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 3, 2003.

Rio Nuevo Battle Site

Category: Historic Sites

The Rio Nuevo Battle Site was the site of final battle between British and Spanish forces to determine possession of Jamaica. The Spanish was finally defeated after five years of guerrilla warfare led by Spanish Governor Arnaldo de Isassi. Spain formally conceded Jamaica to England by the Treaty of Madrid in 1670. The site was declared as one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on on May 13, 1999.

The inscription on the Rio Nuevo battle site marker reads:
"The stockade that once stood here was captured on the 17th June 1658 by Colonel Edward D'oyley and the English forces under his command after a gallant defence by Don Cristobal de Ysassi the last spanish govenor of Jamaica."

Rio Nuevo Taino Site

Category: Historic Sites

The Rio Nuevo Taino Site sits along the Rio Nuevo Valley Basin. It is part of a complex of Taino sites on lands that once extended south for about 10 miles to Bellevue. The Rio Nuevo Taino has been preserved and declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on December 1, 2005.

Firefly Hill (Noel Coward's House)

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

Firefly was the home of British Playwright Noel Coward. The property, which has sweeping views of the ocean and coastline was previously known as "Look Out", because it was used as a look out point by the priate Henry Morgan. It was renamed to Firefly by Noel Coward, after the glowing fireflies that came out at night. The site was declared as one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on December 31, 1992.

Fort Haldane

Category: Forts, Naval & Military Monuments

Fort Haldane was erected in 1759 with its guns strategically positioned on a hill with wide views of the old shipping town of Port Maria. It was named after General George Haldane, then Governor of Jamaica. It was declared as one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on on Jun 19, 2000.

Old Court House (Port Maria Civic Centre)

Category: Public Buildings

The Old Court House of Port Maria had several cases including the manslaughter case against Alexander Bustamante, now a National hero, in 1942. Originally built in 1821, in the Jamaican f Georgian architecture, it was the court house and police station until it was destroyed by fire in 1988. It was rebuilt in 2000, and is now the Port Maria Civic Center. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on May 2, 1996.

Claude Stuart Park

Category: Statues & Other memorials

The Claude Stuart Park, formerly the Victoria Park prior to its renaming in 1977, was renamed after a former Member of Parliament for the Parish. It is the site of several monuments including a Cenotaph commemorating victims of World War 1 & 2, a monument in honor of Tacky, the slave leader of the Slave Rebellion of 1760 amongst others. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on May 2, 1996.


Parish of ST THOMAS

Orange Park

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

Orange Park is located in the hills of Yallahs in St Thomas. It was once a coffee plantation and later, around 1847, produced both coffee and pimento for export. In more recent years, Orange Park has transformed into a meeting place for artists and art lovers. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on July 4, 2002.

Fort Morant

Category: Forts, Naval & Military Monuments

The Morant Bay Fort, located behind the Morant Bay Court, overlooking the harbor, was built around 1758. Both the fort and the courthouse was the scene of trouble during the 1865 Morant Bay riots. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on November 5, 1992.

Stony Gut

Category: Historic Sites

Stony Gut, is a small village located in St. Thomas where Jamaica's National Hero, Paul Bogle was born. It was also in this village that the Morant Bay Rebellion began. Paul Bogle was hanged because of the rebellion, but it brought about constitutional changes that improved the social and economic conditions of the people across the island. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on Nov 5, 1992.

Cunha Cunha Pass

Category: Historic Sites

Cunha Cunha Pass, is a 5 mile mountain trail first used by the Maroons to travel between the parishes of St Thomas and Portland and an escape route during battles with the British forces. The trail connects St Thomas with the Rio Grande Valley in Portland, via the main ridge of the Blue Mountains. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on December 22, 2011.

Bath Fountain Spa

Category: Natural Sites

The Bath Fountain Spa was discovered by a run-a-way slave in the 1690s when he found that the water of the mineral spring healed his wounds that had plagued him for years. The spring, rich in sulphur and lime, is believed to be good for the treatment of rheumatic ailments and skin diseases. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on September 13, 1990.

Stokes Hall Great House Ruin

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The ruins of the Stokes Hall Great House are possibly the oldest existing structural foundations in the island. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 7, 2016.

After the English conquest of Jamaica, other colonies were invited to settle there. The people of Nevis were the first to respond and in 1656, Major Luke Stokes, then the Governor of Nevis, brought his family and over 1,600 colonists to Jamaica. Fevers and related illnesses killed many of the colonists, including Major Stokes and his wife. His children survived and established Stokes Hall Great House.

Morant Point Lighthouse

Category: Lighthouses

Located on the most easterly point of the island, the Morant Point Lighthouse is the oldest lighthouse on the island. The 100ft high cast iron structure was built in 1841 out of cast iron, casted in London. It was erected by free Africans who were brought to Jamaica. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on Mar 17, 2016.

St Thomas Parish Church

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The St Thomas Parish Church was built in 1865 when the original church located at Church Corner was abandoned because it had fallen into disrepair. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on July 4, 2002.

Morant Bay Court House

Category: Public Buildings

The Morant Bay Court House was the scene of the Morant Bay Rebellion of 1865. The riot began as a protest by local citizens against poor economic and social conditions in the country. It was burnt during the violence and the Custos, Baron Von Ketelholdt, and other militia men were killed. Paul Bogle, leader of the rebellion, was hanged and George William Gordon, a politician and member of the House was removed to Morant Bay, court marshalled, and executed for his alleged involvement with Bogle. The courthouse was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on Nov 5, 1992,

Statue of the Rt. Excellent Paul Bogle

Category: Category: Statues & Other memorials

The statue of National Hero, the Rt. Excellent Paul Bogle, which was erected in front of the Morant Bay Courthouse in October 1965, was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 3, 2003. It was designed by the late sculptor, the Hon. Edna Manley, wife of National Hero, the Rt. Excellent Norman Manley.


Parish of TRELAWNY

St. Peter's Anglican Church

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

In 1771, Edward Barrett designated half an acre in the center of his property -- known as "Palmetto Point Pen" -- for a church. On March 14, 1791, the Justices and Vestry of Trelawny Parish decided a Parish Church should be built in Falmouth on the land allocated by Edward Barrett. In 1794, John Tharp, who owned Tharp's Wharf, a townhouse, and Good Hope Plantation, gave the rest of the parcel occupied by the church. St. Peter's Anglican Church was completed in 1795 and after an 1842 extension, it stands as one of the largest Anglican churches in the island. The St. Peter's Anglican Church was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on October 1, 1992.

Stewart Castle Ruins

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The ruins of the stone mansion, Stewart Castle Great House, was built by James Stewart and later owned by his son, Hon. James Stewart, Custos of Trelawny 1800-1821. In 1957, an excavation on the property found a Taino Midden -- a dump heap for domestic waste -- offering valuable insights into the dietary habits of the Tainos. The Stewart Castle Ruins was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 4, 1991.

Good Hope Great House & Ancillary Buildings

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Good Hope Estates began as a sugar estate in 1744 by Colonel Thomas Williams after he was granted 1,000 acres of land. The Great House was built in 1755 when the land was part of St James; before Trelawny came into being as a parish in the year 1770. The estate later became the property of John Tharp who became the largest land and slave owner in Jamaica. The estate grew into a village with its own church, a 300-bed hospital used to treat slaves, and a Free School that taught the slaves. The Good Hope Great House & Ancillary Buildings were declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 19, 2012.

Birthplace of the Most Hon Hugh Lawson Shearer

Category: Historic Sites

The birthplace of the Most Hon Hugh Lawson Shearer is located on the main road between Falmouth and Martha Brae. It is said that the house in which Mr. Shearer was born was a wattle and daub construction situated to the back of the present building. The wattle and daub house no longer exists. The Birthplace of the Most Hon Hugh Lawson Shearer was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 19, 2012.

Persian Water Wheel

Category: Aqueducts, Bridges & Dams

The Persian Water Wheel was instrumental in making Falmouth the first town in the western hemisphere to have piped running water, even before New York City. It is located next to the Martha Brae river near Martha Brae Village. This 20ft wide wheel effectively moved water to a 20ft high wooden trough. The water then flowed by gravity via a six-inch pipe to Falmouth where it emptied itself into a reservoir. The Persian Water Wheel was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on March 17, 2016.

Fort Balcarres

Category: Forts, Naval & Military Monuments

In its anticipated significance as a major port city, Falmouth had a fort almost immediately after its founding. Edward Long, a Jamaican-born British colonial administrator and historian, mentions a fort for the town in writings as early as 1774, four years after the town was established. The Fort Balcarres was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 3, 2003.

Falmouth Courthouse

Category: Public Buildings

In January 1794, with Falmouth having established its own identity as the seat of power for the Parish, the residents of Falmouth began to agitate to have the Court House removed from Martha Brae to Falmouth. The courthouse was moved with the Court activities initially held in a tavern located at the corner of Market and Duke Streets, but by 1815 construction began on this building overlooking Falmouth Harbor. The Falmouth Courthouse was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on October 1, 1992.

Falmouth Historic District

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Martha Brae Village, was the original capital of Trelawny but it had a number of weaknesses; it only had 50 acres of high ground and the Martha Brae River, which was the only route to the ocean was only navigable for 2.5 miles. Falmouth, was selected as the new capital in 1790. The town of Falmouth, built on lands owned by the Barrett family, rose to prominence on the wealth of the sugar planations. The economic boom in Falmouth during the 18th and 19th centuries made it one of the most industrial towns in the Western Hemisphere. The town received running water before New York City, and it's meticulous planning illustrated one of the earliest example of urban planning developments. The Falmouth Historic District was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on September 5, 1996.

Barrett House Ruins

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Barrett House was an impressive structure, a two-story Georgian-style town home located on Market Street in Falmouth. The keystone over the front door bears the date 1799, when the house was completed. Unfortunately Hurricane Gilbert tore the roof off the house in 1988, and all that remained by 2006 was the shell of the ground floor. The house is associated with Edward Barrett, who owned much of the land that became Falmouth.The Barrett House Ruins was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 4th, 1991.


Parish of WESTMORELAND

Negril Point Lighthouse

Category: Lighthouses

The Negril Point Lighthouse is situated on south Negril Point at the extreme western end of the Island. It was constructed in 1894 by the French company Bubbler & Bernard by building a 66ft concrete tower on top of a 14ft water filled tank, to keep the tower balanced in the event of an earthquake. The light sits at the apex, 100ft above sea level. The Negril Point Lighthouse was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on March 17, 2016.

Chebuctoo Great House

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The Chebuctoo Great House is located on a pimento plantation near the village of Cave. In 1780, a hurricane caused such damage that several families set on a path to create houses that were resistant to hurricanes. An architect from England was hired to design and build the homes with Chebuctoo being one of the homes. It was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on December 25, 2008.

Thomas Manning Building

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

In 1711, Thomas Manning, a plantation owner in Westmoreland, gave a gift of land for the setting up of a free school. in the parish of Westmoreland, which at the time also included the Hanover parish...more on the parishes. The free school was eventually established in 1738, but had estensive damage by a hurricane in 1780. Today, the oldest existing part of the school -- Manning High School -- is known as the Thomas Manning Building, named in honor of the School's founder. The building was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on June 19, 2000.

Savanna-la-Mar Court House

Category: Public Buildings

The Savanna-la-mar Court House was built in 1925 and is located on land called Norman Square that was donated by the Governor. The square, which has several public buildings is protected by Jamaican Law. It is one of the two public squares in the island to be protected by legislation (the other is located in Mandeville). The Savanna-la-mar Court House was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on April 19, 2012.

Cast Iron Fountain

Category: Miscellaneous

The Corinthian flooking luted Cast iron Fountain is located in a corner of Nelson Square near the Courthouse. in Sanana-la-Mar. It was presented to the town in 1887 by Edward John Sadler, a planter from Westmoreland. Eight iron columns rises from the base creating an octagonal appearance, with each pair of column connected by an arch at the top. The Cast Iron Fountain was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on June 19, 2000. The drinking fountain appears to be a from Walter Macfarlane's catalog manufactured at the Saracen Foundry in Glasgow, Scotland.

Savanna-la-mar Baptist Church

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The Baptist Church was erected in 1835 and destroyed by a fire four years later, on the 23rd November 1839, and rebuilt in 1840. The Savanna-la-mar Baptist Church was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on May 9, 2002.

St. George's Anglican Church

Category: Churches, Cemeteries, Tombs

The earliest records of the St Georges's Anglican Church dates back to 1739. The first Church was destroyed in a hurricane on October 8, 1780. Services were held in a temporary building until 1799 when a second church was completed, but after over a century of service, it fell into disrepair. The present church was consecrated on St George's Day in 1904. The foundation stone of the original Church, which was discovered during the construction, was laid in a column of the present church. The new building was extensively damaged in 2004 by hurricane Ivan. Restoration was completed in 2006. The Church was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on December 25, 2008.

Ackendown Castle Ruins

Category: Building of Architectural & Historic Interest

The ruins of Auckendown Castle is located between Savanna-la-Mar and Black River. The structure is medieval in appearance with an eastern and western stone tower. A plaque on the inner wall indicates that the castle was built by Archibald Campbell (1781-1833) of the family of Auchenbreck in Argyll in Scotland. Another inscription reads: "Here lie the remains of Archibald Campbell of the family of Auchenbeck in Argyll in Scotland third son of the Hon. John Campbell of New Hope in this parish died 21st April 1833 aged 52 years. This Castle which is now His monument, was built by him. R.I.P.
The Ackendown Castle Ruins was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on December 21, 2006.

Savanna-la-Mar Fort

Category: Forts, Naval & Military Monuments

The fort was originally built in the middle of the 18th century to protect the town but it was never completed. The Savanna-la-Mar Fort was declared one of Jamaica's sites of significant importance on June 19, 2000.


Showing Devon House




Filter